Friday, January 11, 2008

The other side of South Africa

I’m writing this from my and Jen’s tiny room in the Mes-Aksie care center and health clinic. We are staying in rooms usually reserved for the ‘clientele’ of the center, and things are pretty primitive. No hot water, no sink faucet, cot-like beds. Very little electrical outlet access [and no one here has the right adapter].

Most of the things we saw today are hard to describe. MES stands for Metropolitan Evangelical Services and it is a ministry similar to Lawndale in the Chicago community but on a much huger, more severe scale. Today, in about 9 hours we saw homeless shelters, job creation projects, battered women’s shelter, job training for young men and women, aids clinic, old folks home, preschool and more.

One of my favorite moments today was talking with three girls in the young women’s job training center about the US. They were enthralled with everything we said about the US and squealed excitedly about everything…we left with plans for them to visit someday. Kindred spirits…some really beautiful people. They are so full of hope and life and love for the Lord. I have been really impressed. Unfortunately, I don’t have as many pictures of today because we had no outlets, so I couldn’t charge my camera, and it only lasted til noon. Fortunately, the others took many pictures and we’ll all share.

The city of Johannesburg is unbelievably diverse. We went from expensive homes and gorgeous landscapes to the inner city--literally the poorest communities I have ever seen. Everything is on lockdown, with barbed wire, security fences and barred windows. No one goes out past sunset, which is about 8pm here. The entire city shuts down, shops closed, etc.
So many different, unusual experiences. I am making a list of words that they use here that are used differently in the US.

I’ve journaled at least a page or two every day in a notebook. SO many more stories, funny moments with the group, especially the entire group driving around in one very small, old, decrepit van. I passed the 500 picture mark today. Spending some of tonight deleting pictures off the chip for tomorrow.

Pictures are hard to upload here because internet isn’t fast. I’m going to run downstairs and hook up a second to post this up. There is no place to plug in electric downstairs, and right now I am using the community adapter we bought today (one for 13 of us) so I’ll have to give it up soon.

Here is one from yesterday again, I haven't uploaded today's yet. I have better pictures (of the Louvre and Eiffel too!), but I’m saving them for home…when they’re easier to view.



See elephants?

Don’t know if we’ll have another chance to get online, maybe tomorrow night, but not likely in Malawi (where we’ll be Sunday-Saturday.) We leave for home on the next Sunday evening and won’t come home until Tuesday (3 flights!).

1 comment:

kazu_11 said...

nice. i plan to go there for the world cup in 2010. did you feel unsafe at all?