Saturday, January 26, 2008

finally getting back to normalness.

As I have been slowly working my way through the 1,200 pictures I have...I am realizing that I'll pay the price of just snapping pictures where I could, rather than spending time choosing and shooting.

It wasn't worth my time to do that, but now that I'm back--I'm dissapointed that most of the pictures are blurry, or just don't caputre the full magnitude of what I wa trying to. But maybe that's the weakness, or trick of pictures in general.

So, keeping in mind that though a pictures says a thousand words, only the seeing-in-person captures the full emotion and impressiveness of the landscape and country. You will get a small glimpse, but it won't be as powerful until you've seen it.

Leaving South Africa was really hard for me. I wasn't ready to go and felt as though I hadn't done enough. I had dealt with the unknown there, and wasn't ready for another unfamiliar place, language, and people. But I was worried for no reason.


Malawi was definitely the most eye-opening, worldview roadening part of the trip. It was a beautiful country with the most gracious people. God taught me a lot there--but, i think, more about myself than about the country's economics or social environment.

THis was my first view of the country, mere meters from the airport exit.


The mountains of Lake Malawi are in the distance.
First full day in Malawi. Becca, myself, and Katie.
We spent the morning getting introduced to CHREAM and it's mission in Malawi. Then we spent the afternoon touring members of CHREAM's business--including one really great african cafe.
Here we are all dressed up in our chitenje's from Jen and Katie's host mom, Villie Chibonga.





Some more gorgeous landscape/sky.




Also on our first day, we visited the local church, Capital City Baptist. They gave a us a tour of some of the church's community development ministries. One was a villlage creation, with agricultural plots and plans made especially for families that adopted orphans. (which is a much more common practice than the orphanage institution)

Some of the kids in the village. Market in Old Town. (nerve wracking, very dirty)
.

Most know--I have a weak spot for a pretty sky. I was not dissapointed in Malawi. see below

Sign of God's promise (a pretty regular one)


Malawi'a post-storm sky. WOWness

Uh, so that's day 1/2 and 1 in Malawi.
I have to write my interim paper and go to work and class tomorrow. I promise not to be too long in posting again.

No comments: